Gran Canaria Holidays: Travel Guide
In the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa lie the sublime Canary Islands – this archipelago of seven paradise-like islands are one of Spain's greatest treasures. Gran Canaria is situated in the centre of them all, between between Tenerife and Fuerteventura. The year-round spring-like conditions make it an ideal holiday destination for both Winter breaks and summer holidays. The best beaches can be found at Maspalomas, there's an abundance of water sports available, the island has some spectacular hiking trails, and offers excellent golfing too. Located to the northeast is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, the island’s capital. It boasts an important historical and cultural heritage, with lovely colonial architecture, pleny of bars and restaurants and shopping, along with two bays and beautiful beaches.
Why visit Gran Canaria?
The third largest island in the Canary Islands is also nicknamed as “miniature continent” due to its climatic, geographic, floristic and faunistic diversity, and is a favorite destination for nature lovers. Wild panoramas, as sublime as they are impressive from the top of Pico de Las Nieves or Roque Nublo, picturesque charm in towns like Triana, and fabulous beaches of Maspalomas – Gran Canaria is full of treasures. Within these sumptuous landscapes and villages, a large number of cultural and sporting activities delight those thirsty for culture and those seeking thrills.
What to do in Gran Canaria?
Along with La Palmas de Gran Canaria, the island is one of the most important in the archipelago. Between places of unique beauty and attractive addresses to party until at dawn, Gran Canaria is an Eden for unforgettable holidays.
What are the most beautiful places in Gran Canaria?
Gran Canaria is recognized as a biosphere reserve and therefore abounds in unusual places, each as beautiful as the next. Here is a list of the best:
- Roque Nublo. This unique rock of 80 meters and nestled to more than 1800 meters above sea level offers a fantastic panorama over the whole island.
- The dunes of Maspalomas. A golden expanse of dunes on the edge of the beautiful coasts of Gran Canaria which offer an extraordinary spectacle.
- The Pico de Las Nieves. The highest point on the island at over 1900 meters above sea level. Go up to its summit which offers magnificent hikes and walks in the luxuriant nature of the Canaries.
- Barranco de Fataga. A fabulous canyon where you can take the best hikes on the island. A landscape full of breathtaking nature.
Where to out in Gran Canaria?
In Spain reigns the Vida Loca and Gran Canaria does not escape this rule. Here is a selection of the best addresses where you can party:
- The Tao Club in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria which is one of the most attractive addresses on the whole island.
- The Little Buddha. An address also located in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria: an intimate and charming venue where you can enjoy good cocktails or enjoy a shisha.
- The Eiffel Bar in the heart of Playa del Inglès. With modern decoration and an a lively atmosphere its the perfect spot for a beautiful evening.
- Peppermint. Also located in Playa del Inglès, this cocktail bar offers the most welcoming atmosphere for an exceptional night.
Which activities to do in Gran Canaria?
The island has its share of activities to enhance your stay in the Canary Islands. Below is a list of the best activities to do:
- Take a submarine ride to admire the magnificent marine fauna while staying dry!
- Practice scuba diving to admire this same fauna by being in direct contact with it.
- Take a hike through the mountains and volcanoes of the island before settling on the top of the Pico de Las Nieves and contemplating a magnificent sunset.
- Take a horseback ride between the mountains and the Dunes of Maspalomas to discover the sublime panoramas of Gran Canaria.
What are the must-sees in Gran Canaria?
The island has many places of interest that you must see during your stay. Whether they are splendid monuments or museums of great cultural interest for beautiful discoveries.
What are the most beautiful monuments in Gran Canaria?
There are many monuments to see all over the island of Gran Canaria. Here are the most beautiful of them:
- The Catedral de Santa Ana de Canarias in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. A magnificent building dating back to the 16th century. From the top of the cathedral you can admire the whole city.
- The Templo Ecumenico el Salvador, a beautiful, aesthetic church in Playa del Inglès.
- The Calle Triana located at in the heart of Palmas de Gran Canaria. From buildings to unique architecture that will amaze you during your stroll around the city.
- El Faro de Maspalomas. A sublime lighthouse that rises above the extremity of the island since 1890.
Which are the best museums in Gran Canaria?
Gran Canaria also has many interesting museums. Here is a list of the best of them:
- Visit the Museum of the Canary Islands, a gem of anthropology and prehistoric studies in Canary Island. discover.
- Go see the Casa de Colón, and visit in the footsteps of Christopher Columbus. An unmissable experience for history lovers.
- Discover the Atlantic Center for Modern Art. In the heart of the island's capital, admire avant-garde works from the 20th century and today.
Which are the most beautiful villages in Gran Canaria?
The island is also full of picturesque villages to visit. unique beauty that you must see. Here is a selection of the most sublime:
- Teror. A pearl of the north of the island. In the heart of the mountains and boasting charming architecture, it’s a village with lots of charm.
- Fataga. Nestled in the mountains and on the edge of the Dunes of Maspalomas, it is a place of inspiration for many artists both for its beauty and serene nature.
- Lomo Quiebre. Its lovely port named Puerto de Mogán gives it a unique charm. Beautiful coasts and a fishing the port make this place a haven of peace.
Which are the best beaches in Gran Canaria?
Gran Canaria also shines thanks to its fabulous beaches. Here is a list of the best beaches on the island:
- Las Canteras, located on the coast of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, this huge stretch of fine sand is perfect for basking in the balmy sun.
- Maspalomas, not far from Playa del Inglès, high and beautiful golden dunes facing the salient blue ocean.
- Puerto Rico, located in the southwest, it takes its name from its beautiful palm trees which give the place a Caribbean look.
- Tauro, not far from Mógan, this stretch of black sand is one of the most popular beaches on the island.
- La Aldea Beach, situated on the west of the island, wild and pebbly.
When to go to to Gran Canaria?
As its nickname ’island of eternal spring perfectly describes Gran Canaria. The island enjoys a climate that could be described as perfect. An average annual temperature of over 20 degrees, its climate is ideal for any season of the year.
An average temperature of 18 degrees, far from the frost of a cold winter. Visiting Gran Canaria in this season is ideal for walks with pleasant temperatures.
In spring and autumn:
The heat returns or is still present in these seasons. The gentle ocean breeze envelops you and puts you in the best conditions to discover the splendours of this island.
Undoubtedly the ideal season to make the most of the landscapes of land but also the sumptuous coasts of the island of eternal spring. Warm and pleasant temperature, constant sunshine, enough to spend a dream vacation!
Where? to stay at in Gran Canaria?
This sublime destination already makes you want to book a ticket and visit as soon as possible? But then where to stay? VeryChic showcases splendid addresses to make your holidays a real dream in the heart of the island.
What about the other Canary Islands?
To find out which island of the Canary Islands is best suited to your desires, you can also read:
- Lanzarote: Our Travel Guide
- Fuerteventura: what to know before you go
- Tenerife: travel guide, activities, visits and to-knows