Vienna holidays : what do I have to know
In the heart of Central Europe, at the crossroads of East and West, the capital of Austria is a splendid city where cultures, influences, styles and epochs mingle. This surprising diversity has given rise to a city with an incomparable quality of life and a rich heritage. Home to many prodigies such as Mozart, Beethoven, Freud and Zweig, Vienna inspires the imagination, soothes the soul and enbodies pride. Just like the stay that awaits you in the VeryChic hotels, for a romantic, cultural and prestigious weekend. But what to do during your weekend in Vienna? Here are some of the must-see sights to see and activities to do during your visit in Vienna in 3 days, as well as our selection of Vienna hotels.
Sights not to be missed in Vienna
During your weekend in Vienna, set out to discover the city and its history. Visiting Vienna is a must when visiting Austria! It is a beautiful, charming and pleasant city to visit to experience the Viennese way of life. Vienna is known for its cultural richness, its numerous museums and also for Princess Sissi. But what are the most beautiful cultural visits to make in Vienna? Our experts have selected for you the ones that you should not miss:
- Discover the Vienne Ancient Roman Theatre: with a capacity of about 13,000 spectators, the Vienna Theatre was one of the largest urban theatres of the Roman Empire.
- We recommend you to visit this unique place, which is free of charge on the first Sunday of each month.
- Visit the museums of Vienna : you will have the opportunity to cover many museums in this city. The one you should not miss is the MUMOK, a museum of modern art. If you want to visit it during the week, get your tickets in advance on the internet (12 euros) to avoid long waits. The museum has a permanent collection of modern art (Mondrian, Kandinsky, Man Ray…)
- Wonder in front of the Imperial Palace of the Hofburg: this is the largest palace in the city, residence of the most powerful Emperors of Austria. Here you can admire the imperial flats, the silver collection and of course visit the Sissi Museum.
- Go to the Belvedere Palace: one of the largest baroque palaces in Vienna with large gardens and numerous exhibitions.
Activities to do in Vienna: must-sees
Vienna is magnificent in its architecture and grandiose monuments. All the grandeur of the Habsburgs shines through the four corners of the city with the summer and winter palaces, but also the national library. During your weekend in Vienna, enjoy many local activities. Indeed, this is abundant in points of interest, so it is impossible to get bored. Here is a brief overview:
Some of the best places to visit
- The Schönbrunn Palace: which means "Fountain", has seen a good number of wars, kings and emperors pass through. A visit to the Schönbrunn Palace is really a must when spending 3 days in Vienna. We advise you to opt for the visit of the 40 rooms, including the imperial flats;
- The Vienna Operahouse: operas and ballets in one of the most prestigious opera houses in the world, ranging from €10 to €150 a seat. It is also possible to get a standing ticket for 3 or 4 euros. Spending an evening at the Vienna Opera House is therefore a must for your weekend.
- Swim in the Danube: during your day, if the weather is pleasant, take the opportunity to take a dip in the Danube! An incredible atmosphere with paddleboats and other small boats at the foot of the skyscrapers. You will also have the opportunity to eat in front of the Danube on a terrace by the water.
Restaurants in Vienna: our best addresses
Going to the atmosphere of the Viennese cafes is a must during a weekend in Vienna. We can recommend a few classic Viennese cafés: the mythical Café Central and its weaving mills, the unmissable Café Sperl for its Apfelstrudels and the Hawelka, one of the oldest in the city! In another genre, and to vary the pleasures, here are some more trendy cafes: the Café-Librairie Phil, to enjoy delicious brunches or the Brass Monkey, for its fabulous cupcakes. As for restaurants, we recommend Corbaci with its beautiful azulejo ceiling in the MuseumsQuartier. For lunch, it is a very good address. An ideal break between two cultural visits.
Finally, we will share with you the restaurants that will delight both your taste buds and your eyes: the Palmenhaus, an institution and an incredible décor, in a large greenhouse. Also, the SalonPlanfond, the restaurant of the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts. For a more chic romantic dinner with a view, opt for the Sofitel Stephansdom's restaurant.
Weekend in Vienna: where to sleep?
Many private sales of hotels à Vienna are available on our site to enjoy the best hotels in the Austrian capital:
- For a weekend in a hotel facing Vienna's old town, opt for the Sofitel Vienna. If you go to the top floor, you can enjoy a wonderful view of the historic centre.
- If you want to stay in a modern hotel in the heart of Vienna, and on the banks of the Danube, we recommend staying at the Adagio Vienna
- Finally, check out our selection of spa hotels in Vienna.